Yesterday when I picked Lucas up from school, I could tell he was not feeling well. He was loosing his voice and was just not himself. We came home, he ate a good dinner (I was thinking, "well its not an ear infection or he would not eat a bite). After bathtime, he was sitting on the couch with daddy and his fever shot up. He was ready for bed so I gave him some Motrin and put him in bed.
At about 10:30, I heard the strangest sound coming from his room. I ran up there. He was awake and wheezing. He could not breathe and his fever was sky high.
I gave him some more motrin and I started to hand him to Jose and he freaked out....he did not want me to let him go. When he was panicing, he was not able to breathe. Well, I freaked. I put on shoes, Jose grabbed my purse and we rushed to the hospital.
They admitted him right away with 101.8 fever. The gave him a shot of steriods and administered a breathing treatment.
Shortly after, he was able to breathe. He was diagnosed with croup (a virus that causes the larynx to constrict). Thank God for modern day medicine because this virus killed kids back in the old days.
The steroid stays in the system for 2-3 days outlasting the virus which is 1-2 days so that he will be able to breathe. No antibiotics....very simple, yet very scary.
Mothers, his little cough sounded like a seal barking and you will be able to tell if your child cannot get the air they need. I have always heard of croup but thought it was only in babies. It is a virus and if you see these symtoms, get to the hospital.
I took a cell phone picture of my little angel getting his breathing treatment. Poor little guy. Thank you Lord for watching over our little prince.






5 comments:
oh my goodness....I am so glad everything is okay. That scared me just having to read it, I can't imagine how you and Jose felt. Like you, I have heard of croup, and the drs always say it sounds like a seal barking but I guess I always figured they were exagerating. Good to know that is exactly what it sounds like. I hope he feels better soon!
Oh gracious, Mar. We'll keep you all in our prayers and be thinking positive Lucas thoughts in hopes that he feels better VERY soon! Love you all!!
Oh Mary, that is so scary...I'm so glad he's doing better!
Mary I am so sorry. poor little guy. Keep posting so we know how he is doing. Get Well soon!!!
Wow - I can't imagine how much your heart ached to see him go through that. I hope you're all doing well and recovering!
Post a Comment